Submitted works will be judged according to the following criteria:
- exposure focus/sharpness
- colour and/or tonal rendition
VISUAL AND AESTHETIC CRITERIA:
- framing and choice of viewpoint
- design elements and principles
- appropriate application of photographic and/or manipulative techniques
- visual impact
- subject impact
- photographic vision
- Photographs must have been taken in an African country or deal with a diaspora of an African country.
- The emphasis of the competition is on image sequences. Images must work together as a whole. We are NOT looking for single images or fashion/advertising/studio work.
- Eligible are submissions comprising between 10 and 25 images.
- Submitted images should be a minimum of 2500 pixels in width/height at 72 dpi and be no more than 5 megabytes in size.
- Should your work be chosen for exhibition, we will ask you to supply high-resolution files that are suitable for print.
- Collaborative projects are permitted. Entrants must be sure to note this in the description accompanying their submission.
- NOTE ON COPYRIGHT: The images remain the property of the author and POPCAP requires a license to use the images in relation to the competition and promotion of the competition only. Photographers will be consulted, should we wish to use their work in any other context.
- POPCAP is open to photographers of any age and descent.
- There is no entry fee.
RULES OF ENTRY
- You agree to fully indemnify POPCAP regarding all royalties, fees and any other monies owing to any person by reason of your breaching the following requirements, even after your entry is submitted to the website.
- The entrant must confirm that they are the sole copyright holder of the material or have been authorised by another copyright holder to submit the material to this competition.
- Copyright of the photos is retained by the photographer. POPCAP recognises that the entrant – the author of the photograph – retains full and complete ownership of the copyright in each submission.
- Entrants must accept that any image submitted to the competition may be used by POPCAP to enable the delivery of the prize through POPCAP and for future publicity and marketing purposes for up to five years. The entrant hereby grants POPCAP a non-exclusive, irrevocable license to use each submission throughout the world for five years in all media and for any use related to the promotion of the competition, but not limited to: (a) judging the competition, (b) public exhibitions promoting the competition and piclet.org, (c) inclusion within any material promoting either the competition, piclet.org or any exhibition organised by piclet.org; in the promotion of POPCAP, but not limited to: the website, books, magazines or other publications, (d) inclusion in POPCAP-related products (i.e. a prizewinners catalogue) to be sold by POPCAP or any third party following an individual agreement by the author (you), (e) sub-licensing the entries to the press for reproduction in connection with the prize and any exhibition, (f) allowing viewers of the website to view images on a computer screen or mobile device, and to store such pages in electronic form on disk or mobile device for their personal, non-commercial use only.
- Entrants may submit colour and/or black and white photographs taken up to three years before the start of the competition (after October 2012).
- Entrants may enter with one particular project once only.
- All entries must be submitted via the website no later than 11.59pm EST (Zurich time) on Sunday February 7 2015. Any photos submitted after this time will not be considered for entry.
- You may NOT submit watermarked images with your name or website visible on the photo. Please DO NOT frame your images with borders.
- Winners will be informed by email and announced on the website (date TBC).
- Submissions must be of a reasonably large file size and of high quality (at least 2500px at 72dpi, with a maximum size of five megabytes per file). Entrants' photos must be in JPEG format.
- All entrants must be able to supply a high-resolution (400dpi) and high-definition image suitable for printing in media and for an exhibition, should the work be chosen for the final selection.
- We DO NOT sell your images.
- You agree to participate in related publicity and to the use of your name and likeness for the purposes of advertising, promotion and publicity without receiving additional compensation.
- All correspondence will be made through the email address and telephone number provided at the time of registration.
- POPCAP employees, advisors and judges may not enter the competition.
- The core of your image-making process should involve the use of photographic equipment and/or processes. Digital, darkroom or any other form of manipulation IS accepted.
- The judges' decisions are final and once they have been made, no further negotiations with entrants will be entered into. POPCAP assumes no responsibility for any incorrect, inaccurate or incomplete information, whether caused by website users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilised in the competition. POPCAP assumes no responsibility for technical, hardware or software failures of any kind, for lost network connections, corrupt transmissions, other problems or technical malfunctions with regard to the competition. POPCAP assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, corruption, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorised access to or alteration of submitted works. POPCAP is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, computer equipment, software, failure of any emails addressed to POPCAP on account of technical problems, human error or traffic congestion on the internet or any website, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to your or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in the competition. POPCAP assumes no responsibility if for any reason a contestant’s entry cannot be viewed or is not capable of running as planned, due to either infection by computer viruses, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud or technical failures.
- In no event will POPCAP, its parents, affiliates, subsidiaries and related companies, event partners, its advertising or promotion agencies, or its officers, directors, employees, shareholders, representatives or agents be responsible or liable for any damages or losses of any kind, including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, special or punitive damages arising from contestants' access to and use of the website. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, everything on the website is provided "AS IS", without warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for purpose or use or non-infringement. POPCAP reserves the right to disqualify any participant on reasonable grounds at its discretion.
Download the Rules of entry here.